Affordable Access

deepdyve-link deepdyve-link
Publisher Website

Treatment of refractory feline sporotrichosis with a combination of intralesional amphotericin B and oral itraconazole.

Authors
Type
Published Article
Journal
Australian veterinary journal
Publication Date
Volume
89
Issue
9
Pages
346–351
Identifiers
DOI: 10.1111/j.1751-0813.2011.00804.x
PMID: 21864307
Source
Medline
License
Unknown

Abstract

OBJECTIVE To describe the use of intralesional amphotericin B in localised lesions for the treatment of 26 cats from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with sporotrichosis refractory to oral itraconazole. DESIGN Uncontrolled intervention study. METHOD The 26 cats in this study were diagnosed with sporotrichosis, confirmed by isolation of Sporothrix schenckii, and presented residual localised skin lesions refractory to treatment with oral itraconazole for a minimum period of 8 weeks. The animals received weekly applications of intralesional amphotericin B in conjunction with oral itraconazole. In cases of owner unavailability, a maximum of 2 weeks between the infiltrations was accepted. RESULTS Twenty-two (84.6%) of the 26 treated cats achieved clinical remission, 16 (72.7%) of which were cured, and in the remaining six (27.3%) the lesions recurred at the same site. Lack of clinical response was observed in one animal and three owners abandoned treatment. CONCLUSION The proposed therapeutic regimen is an adjunctive treatment option for cats with sporotrichosis presenting as residual skin lesions refractory to itraconazole.

Statistics

Seen <100 times