Affordable Access

Pemoline toxicosis in a dog.

Authors
  • Cudia, S P
  • Poppenga, R H
  • Birdsall, W J
Type
Published Article
Journal
Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
Publication Date
Jan 01, 1998
Volume
212
Issue
1
Pages
74–76
Identifiers
PMID: 9426782
Source
Medline
License
Unknown

Abstract

A 3-year-old German Short-haired Pointer was examined because of extreme agitation, hyperactivity, and vomiting that began within 24 hours after ingestion of approximately 750 mg of pemoline, a CNS stimulant. On physical examination, the dog was agitated, tachycardic, hyper-responsive, pyrectic, disoriented, and had mydriasis. These signs were consistent with excessive stimulation of the CNS and sympathomimetic effects resulting from pemoline toxicosis. Serial blood and urine samples were obtained, and toxicologic analyses were performed. Extrapolation of the plasma pemoline concentration 32 hours after ingestion provided an estimated peak plasma concentration of 368 micrograms/ml, dramatically higher than a therapeutic concentration of 1.7 to 7.0 micrograms/ml reported for children. Several sedatives were administered intravenously to alleviate clinical signs and to allow administration of activated charcoal (PO) and fluids (IV). Clinical signs resolved approximately 72 hours after ingestion of pemoline.

Report this publication

Statistics

Seen <100 times