Affordable Access

The MACHO Project Large Magellanic Cloud Variable-Star Inventory. IX. Frequency Analysis of the First-Overtone RR Lyrae Stars and the Indication for Nonradial Pulsations

Authors
  • Charles, Alcock
  • Robyn, Allsman
  • David R, Alves
  • Tim, Axelrod
  • A, Becker
  • D, Bennett
  • C, Clement
  • Kem H, Cook
  • A, Drake
  • Kenneth, Freeman
  • M, Geha
  • K, Griest
  • G, Kovács
  • D W, Kurtz
  • M, Lehner
  • S, Marshall
  • Dante, Minniti
  • C, Nelson
  • Bruce, Peterson
  • P, Popowski
  • And 9 more
Type
Published Article
Journal
The Astrophysical Journal
Publisher
American Astronomical Society
Publication Date
Oct 09, 2000
Volume
542
Issue
1
Pages
257–257
Source
SETI Institute
License
Unknown

Abstract

More than 1300 variables classified provisionally as first-overtone RR Lyrae pulsators in the MACHO variable-star database of the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) have been subjected to standard frequency analysis. Based on the remnant power in the prewhitened spectra, we found 70% of the total population to be monoperiodic. The remaining 30%(411 stars) are classified as one of nine types according to their frequency spectra. Several types of RR Lyrae pulsational behavior are clearly identified here for the ...

Report this publication

Statistics

Seen <100 times