Affordable Access

Publisher Website

Interest in Rhinoplasty and Awareness of Postoperative Complications Among Female High School Students in Taif, Saudi Arabia.

Authors
  • Alhusayni, Muhanna A1
  • Alzahrani, Abrar A1
  • Alhomaidi, Fahad M1
  • Alotaibi, Raghad N1
  • Abu Rukbah, Liyan K1
  • Alotaibi, Ghadi F1
  • Alnofaie, Marwan F2
  • 1 College of Medicine, Taif University, Taif, SAU.
  • 2 Otorhinolaryngology, King Faisal Medical Complex, Taif, SAU.
Type
Published Article
Journal
Cureus
Publisher
Cureus, Inc.
Publication Date
Mar 01, 2024
Volume
16
Issue
3
Identifiers
DOI: 10.7759/cureus.56741
PMID: 38650772
Source
Medline
Keywords
Language
English
License
Unknown

Abstract

Background and objective There has been a significant increase in rhinoplasty procedures in Saudi Arabia recently. Cultural factors, societal pressure, and a desire for beauty and self-improvement contribute to the growing interest in cosmetic procedures among the Saudi population. However, limited research has been conducted specifically focusing on the interest in rhinoplasty and the awareness of postoperative complications among female high school students. This study aimed to investigate the interest in rhinoplasty and awareness of postoperative complications among female high school students in Taif, Saudi Arabia. Methodology A cross-sectional observational study was conducted among female high school students through January and February 2024 using a validated questionnaire comprising sociodemographic characteristics, attitudes toward rhinoplasty, and the females' familiarity with the postoperative complications of rhinoplasty. Results The study was conducted among 737 female high school students. About half of the females (N = 376, 51%) were 18 years old, and the other half were under 18 years old (N = 361, 49%). Out of the total females, only 19 (2.6%) underwent cosmetic surgery, with 6 (60%) opting for rhinoplasty. The study found that 152 (20.6%) females were interested in rhinoplasty, and about a quarter of them (N = 99, 13.4%) did not feel happy about their noses. The most common rhinoplasty complications reported by the respondents were a mismatch of the new nose with the rest of the face (N = 471, 63.9%), headache (N = 459, 62.3%), breathing disorders (N = 458, 62.1%), dissatisfaction with the new nose (N = 437, 59.3%), and nose blockage (N = 427, 57.9%). It was found that interest in rhinoplasty was significantly more common among participants having relatives or friends who underwent rhinoplasty than others (N = 51, 25.8% vs. N = 85, 17.2%, respectively; P = 0.010). Moreover, it was revealed that interest in rhinoplasty was significantly more common among participants who were not happy with their nose (N = 78, 78.8%) than those who were happy with their nose (N = 41, 8.3%) and those who did not care (N = 33, 22.9%) (P < 0.001). Conclusions The study revealed that a significant percentage of participants expressed interest in rhinoplasty, indicating a desire for nose reshaping. Counseling services should be available to support students in developing positive body image and self-acceptance. Furthermore, it is important to establish guidelines for media and advertising to guarantee accurate information from surgeons and psychiatrists, ensuring that the public receives balanced and reliable information. Copyright © 2024, Alhusayni et al.

Report this publication

Statistics

Seen <100 times