Affordable Access

Hypoglycemia following ethanol ingestion in children: report of a case.

Authors
Type
Published Article
Journal
Journal of the Formosan Medical Association = Taiwan yi zhi
Publication Date
Volume
94
Issue
5
Pages
267–270
Identifiers
PMID: 7613261
Source
Medline
License
Unknown

Abstract

Ethanol is present in a large number of pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, detergents and beverages. Without adequate safety measures, the accidental ingestion of such products by children is possible. Ethanol ingestion by children is known to cause various metabolic and neurologic disorders, including hypoglycemia, metabolic acidosis, seizures or coma. In Taiwan, little information has been published regarding the effects of ethanol ingestion by children. This is a report of a 5-year-old boy who became hypoglycemic after ingestion of rice wine. Admitted in a coma, the boy regained consciousness within 30 min after slow administration of 5% dextrose. His initial plasma glucose level was extremely low and hypokalemia was also found. Blood ethanol was 159 mg/dL, 3 h after the alcohol ingestion. He was discharged in good health the following day. Ethanol-induced hypoglycemia may be easily overlooked as symptoms of adrenaline excess are frequently absent. Prompt recognition and treatment with intravenous glucose are essential and may be life-saving. Pediatricians need to be aware of the devastating impact of ethanol. Preventive measures, such as child-proof packaging and parent education, are required if ethanol intoxication in children is to be avoided.

Statistics

Seen <100 times