We report a case in which quick freeze injury occurred to both hands by helium vapour at extremely low temperatures. At the time of injury the victim was wearing protective gloves which were removed quickly after the accident. This prompt removal of gloves reduced the depth and severity of the injury. Initially he was treated by rapid thawing by immersing the hands in luke warm water (37 degrees C) and administering heparin by drip to prevent microvascular thrombosis. Delayed skin grafting was performed with good functional recovery. The circumstances accompanying this injury and preventive measures are discussed.