The prevalence of ischaemic heart disease with associated cardiomegaly and other chronic diseases such as diabetes mellitus has increased in Malaysia in recent years. As the contribution to mortality from ischaemic heart disease/cardiomegaly in different ethnic populations is unclear, a three year (January 2013-December 2015) retrospective study of autopsy cases was undertaken at the Department of Forensic Pathology, University Malaya Medical Centre. There were 80 cases with lethal ischaemic heart diseases/cardiomegaly. The age range was 30-69 years (mean 50.19 years) with a male to female ratio of 39:01. The most vulnerable age was 50-59 years accounting for 38.75% of cases. Malays accounted for 15% of cases, Indians for 32.5% and Chinese for 36.25%. Although in 35 cases (43.75%) there was a history suggestive of ischaemic heart disease, the remaining 45 cases (56.25%) were apparently healthy until the terminal collapse. It appears that Indian males in the 50-59 year age range are most at risk for lethal cardiac events in this population, most often with no preceding symptoms or signs. The study demonstrates the value of studying subpopulations for disease risk rather than relying on accrued general population data.