C1838. In March 1838 work commenced on the renovation of Leeds Parish Church of St. Peter, instigated by the Vicar of Leeds, Reverend Walter Farquhar Hook. Due to the discovery of severe structual problems most of the building was to be demolished and re-built to new designs by Robert Chantrell. When the galleries, pews and staircases were taken out a wide variety of objects were discovered beneath the flooring. There were fans, smelling bottles, vinaigrettes, coins toothpick, knives, gloves, book markers, brooches and pins. This watercolour by John N. Rhodes (1809-1842) records the demolition in progress looking North-West from the Chancel. The artist was a patron of the Church at the time of re-building.