Original tower built under Ming Emperor Taizu (Hongwu), r. 1368-1398. It was situated to the west of the present site. The present tower was built in 1582 and restored in 1739. The bell was struck at dawn as a time keeper. The tower now sits in the middle of the intersection of four major streets. Under the intersection is a vast pedestrian shopping area.