Affordable Access

Delayed toxicity following acute ingestion of valpromide.

Authors
Type
Published Article
Journal
Human & experimental toxicology
Publication Date
Volume
23
Issue
3
Pages
145–148
Identifiers
PMID: 15119534
Source
Medline
License
Unknown

Abstract

As valpromide is a prodrug of valproic acid (valproate), the clinical presentation of overdoses with either valpromide or valproate sodium is generally considered similar. Whereas plasma peak levels and signs of central nervous system depression occur within a few hours after the acute ingestion of regular-release forms of valproate sodium, delayed toxicity and time to peak levels following valpromide ingestion can be seen as shown by the three reported cases. They were initially considered as mild because patients presented with no or only moderate symptoms and serum valproate levels were below or at therapeutic levels on admission more than 3 hours post-ingestion in two of the three patients. Serum valproate levels were not monitored until marked deterioration more than 10 hours after ingestion. At the time of deterioration, serum valproate was at toxic level in the three reported cases. Therefore, large intake of valpromide should be closely monitored because no or moderate symptoms together with low plasma levels in the first few hours after ingestion do not exclude a subsequent severe intoxication. Despite the usual favourable outcome and the poor correlation between plasma levels and toxic symptoms, patients should not be discharged until plasma levels are documented to remain at low levels for at least 10 hours after the ingestion of valpromide and the patient asymptomatic.

Statistics

Seen <100 times