Affordable Access

[Circumstances of the diagnosis of carotid or vertebrobasilar arteriopathy].

Authors
  • Moulin, Thierry
  • Decavel, Pierre
Type
Published Article
Journal
La Revue du praticien
Publication Date
May 31, 2004
Volume
54
Issue
10
Pages
1062–1072
Identifiers
PMID: 15369147
Source
Medline
License
Unknown

Abstract

Cerebral ischaemia is a dynamic process affecting the cerebral parenchyma, with transient or permanent clinical symptoms, of varying duration and severity, and which is due to the occlusion of an artery in most cases. The clinical characteristics of cerebral ischaemia include sudden focal cerebral or ocular deficits, which may or may not resolve and have further clinical repercussions. On more rare occasions, ischaemia can be detected in an inadvertent fashion during a general or neurological check-up. In 80% of cases, the anterior (carotid) arterial system is affected, while in the remaining 20%, the posterior (vertebrobasilar) system is involved. Cerebral ischaemia is a medical emergency requiring prompt management and a thorough understanding of clinical semiology as soon as acute manifestations appear. The detection and prediction of cerebral ischaemia will be facilitated through the use of novel neuroimaging techniques, aiding therapeutic decision-making.

Report this publication

Statistics

Seen <100 times