Affordable Access

Publisher Website

The challenge of enterocutaneous fistulae

Authors
Journal
Medical Journal Armed Forces India
0377-1237
Publisher
Elsevier
Publication Date
Volume
60
Issue
3
Identifiers
DOI: 10.1016/s0377-1237(04)80053-4
Keywords
  • Enterocutaneous
  • Fistula
  • Nutrition
  • Octreotide
Disciplines
  • Medicine

Abstract

Abstract During a period of six years, 17 cases of enterocutaneous fistulae arising from the small intestine were managed. Majority of the fistulae, (76%) resulted from surgical complications. There were 6 females and 11 male patients. The mean age of the patients was 40 years. In 9/17 patients (52%) the fistulae arose from the proximal small gut (duodenum and jejunum) and in the remaining 48% from the ileum. Octreotide was used in 11/17 patients (64%). Enteral nutrition was used in 9/17 patients (52%) while re-feed from the proximal gut fistulae was used in 4/9 patients (44%) to maintain the nutrition of the patients. Only one fistula (6%) closed spontaneously. There were 2 deaths (12%) in this study. 14/17 patients (82%) required surgical intervention at some stage for successful closure of intestinal fistula. Aggressive surgical treatment with judicious use of octreotide, nutritional support, stoma care and control of sepsis significantly improves the outcome of small intestinal fistulae.

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Statistics

Seen <100 times
0 Comments

More articles like this

Enterocutaneous fistulae in children - a managemen...

on Journal of the College of Phys... August 2008

The nursing management of enterocutaneous fistulae...

on British Journal of Community N... September 2003

Enterocutaneous fistulae.

on Journal of wound care March 1999

Rubber sump drainage of enterocutaneous fistulae.

on The Australian and New Zealand... August 1979
More articles like this..