Affordable Access

Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia, Recessive.

Authors
Publisher
Seattle: University of Washington
Publication Date
Disciplines
  • Medicine

Abstract

Disease characteristics. Recessive multiple epiphyseal dysplasia (EDM4/rMED) is characterized by joint pain (usually in the hips or knees); malformations of hands, feet, and knees; and scoliosis. Approximately 50% of affected individuals have some abnormal finding at birth, e.g., clubfoot, clinodactyly, or (rarely) cystic ear swelling. Onset of articular pain is variable but usually occurs in late childhood. Stature is usually within the normal range prior to puberty; in adulthood, stature is only slightly diminished and ranges from 150 to 180 cm. Functional disability is mild. Diagnosis/testing. Diagnosis of EDM4/rMED is based on clinical and radiographic findings. SLC26A2 is the only gene known to be associated with EDM4/rMED. Molecular genetic testing is available on a clinical basis. Management. Treatment of manifestations: physiotherapy for muscular strengthening; cautious use of analgesic medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs); orthopedic surgery as indicated. Surveillance: radiographs as indicated. Agents/circumstances to avoid: sports involving joint overload. Genetic counseling. EDM4/rMED is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. At conception, each sib of a proband with EDM4/rMED has a 25% chance of being affected, a 50% chance of being an asymptomatic carrier, and a 25% chance of being unaffected and not a carrier. Once an at-risk sib is known to be unaffected, the risk of his/her being a carrier is 2/3. Carrier testing for at-risk relatives and prenatal testing for pregnancies at increased risk is possible if both disease-causing alleles in the family are known and the carrier status of the parents has been confirmed. Requests for prenatal testing for mild conditions such as EDM4/rMED are not common.

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Statistics

Seen <100 times
0 Comments

More articles like this

Paternal isodisomy of chromosome 5 in a patient wi...

on American journal of medical ge... April 2014

Recessively inherited multiple epiphyseal dysplasi...

on Journal of Medical Genetics August 1999
More articles like this..