In the early 19th century numerous scientific educational institutions in the field of agriculture came into existence. Motives were new knowledges in agriculture, science and economics. After a transient establishment of an agricultural institute at the University of Bonn (1819-1826) in 1847 an independent academy of agriculture, later a college resp. a faculty were founded in Poppelsdorf nr. Bonn. Instructions on veterinary science, which was regarded as an auxiliary subject included animal diseases and anatomy as well as physiology of domestic animals. These subjects were taught for 48 years by Prof. Arnold SCHELL, honorary lecturer (1850-1898), being simultaneously Departmentstierarzt in Cologne and Kreistierarzt (district veterinary officer) in Bonn. SCHELL published articles with variable topics. He took an active hand as member of the executive committee (from 1860) and as head of the local section Bonn in the Landwirtschaftliche Verein für Rheinpreussen. He organized the Verein Rheinpreussischer Tierärzte, and he was for many years its president. As delegate of this association he advocated the corporate concerns in the Deutsche Veterinärrat and in the Centralvertretung der tierärztlichen Vereine Preussens. SCHELL was a distinguished teacher and conveyor between veterinary science and agriculture, he was engaged in problems of animals husbandry and epidemic law, he contributed essentially to the development of the veterinary corporation. He was decorated with top honors as Kronenorden III. class and Roter Adlerorden IV. and III. class.