Affordable Access

Acute tellurium toxicity from ingestion of metal-oxidizing solutions.

Authors
  • Yarema, Mark C
  • Curry, Steven C
Type
Published Article
Journal
PEDIATRICS
Publisher
American Academy of Pediatrics
Publication Date
Aug 01, 2005
Volume
116
Issue
2
Identifiers
PMID: 15995006
Source
Medline
License
Unknown

Abstract

Tellurium is an element used in the vulcanization of rubber and in metal-oxidizing solutions to blacken or tarnish metals. Descriptions of human toxicity from tellurium ingestion are rare. We report the clinical course of 2 children who ingested metal-oxidizing solutions containing substantial concentrations of tellurium. Clinical features included vomiting, black discoloration of the oral mucosa, and a garlic odor to the breath. One patient developed corrosive injury to the esophagus secondary to the high concentration of hydrochloric acid in the solution. Both patients recovered without serious sequelae, which is typical of tellurium toxicity. An awareness of situations in which children may be exposed to tellurium and its clinical presentation may assist clinicians in the diagnosis of this rare poisoning.

Report this publication

Statistics

Seen <100 times