Affordable Access

deepdyve-link
Publisher Website

Acute and long-term outcomes of left-sided atrioventricular node ablation in patients with atrial fibrillation.

Authors
  • Yorgun, Hikmet1, 2
  • Canpolat, Uğur3
  • Şener, Yusuf Ziya3
  • Okşul, Metin3
  • Akkaya, Fatih3
  • Ateş, Ahmet Hakan3
  • Aytemir, Kudret3
  • 1 Faculty of Medicine, Department of Cardiology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey. [email protected] , (Turkey)
  • 2 Department of Cardiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht (CARIM), Maastricht University Medical Center, 6229 HX, Maastricht, Netherlands. [email protected] , (Netherlands)
  • 3 Faculty of Medicine, Department of Cardiology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey. , (Turkey)
Type
Published Article
Journal
Journal of Interventional Cardiac Electrophysiology
Publisher
Springer-Verlag
Publication Date
Dec 01, 2020
Volume
59
Issue
3
Pages
527–533
Identifiers
DOI: 10.1007/s10840-019-00642-8
PMID: 31853805
Source
Medline
Keywords
Language
English
License
Unknown

Abstract

To present our experience regarding acute and long-term outcomes of left-sided atrioventricular node (AVN) ablation in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). A total of 47 patients with AF in whom left-sided AVN ablation via retroaortic approach as a first-line approach were enrolled in this retrospective study. Indications for AVN ablation were high ventricular rate refractory to medical therapy, inappropriate implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) shocks, or loss of cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) pacing. Both acute and long-term outcomes were assessed for all participants. Left-sided AVN ablation was successfully performed in 46/47 (98%) patients without any procedural complication. In the remaining 1 patient (2%), right-sided AVN ablation was performed. No mortality was observed within 30 days of the procedure. Upgrade to CRT was performed in 9 (19%) of the patients. During the median 22.5 months of follow-up, all-cause mortality was 25%. Device interrogations on the last clinical visit revealed complete AV block and intrinsic ventricular rate of < 40 bpm in all patients. Left-sided AVN ablation is a safe and effective procedure without recurrence during long-term follow-up.

Report this publication

Statistics

Seen <100 times