Summary This report deals with the occurrence of an acute hemolytic anemia in an Italian child following the ingestion of two raw fava beans. Jaundice and anemia were the presenting symptoms. Convalescence was rapid and uneventful. No therapy except oral ferrous sulfate was given. The patient has remained in good health over a five-month period of observation. Studies of the toxic properties of the fava bean and antibody response ofthe patient over five months failed to demonstrate definite sensitization as shown by skin tests, passive transfer experiments, and precipitin reactions. The sudden onset of asymptomatic jaundice in an Italian child should necessitate careful questioning for a recent history of fava bean ingestion.