Affordable Access

page 2823

Publication Date
  • Serial Set 3080
  • Engineering


APPENDIX UU-—REPORT OF MAJOR HANDBURt. 2825 report ok lieutenant harry taylor, corps of engineers. United States Engineer Office, Cascades Locks, Oregon, June SO, J89£> Sin: I have tile honor to submit the following report of operations for '' Improving Columbia River at Cascades, Oregon/' for the year ending June 30,1892. I assumed local charge of the work on November 14,1891, relieving First Lieut. Ed- ward Burr, Corps of Engineers, on that date. At the time I assumed charge it was near the end of the working season, but the work Was in full progress, with every- thing running smoothly and systematically. The river and harbor act approved September 19,1890, appropriated $435,000 for continuing this improvement, and the approved project for the expenditure of this appropriation calls for the completion of the masonry of the lower lock and guard gates, and the building of the lock wall and the masonry of the upper lock gates on the land side to the height of about 26 feet, with allowance for necessary additional excavation, and for plant, operating, and incidental expenses; the work to be done by hired labor and the purchase of material. During the winter and early spring of 1891 work had been carried on under the ap- proved project, and up to the end of June, 1891, the work had been the construction of the south wall of the masonry of the lower lock and guard gates, together with the necessary excavation, stone cutting, preparation and repair of plant, and all other operations incidental to this work. Preparation had also been made for commencing the north wall masonry for these gates, including the cleaning up of the foundation and shifting tracks and derricks, both in the pit and overhead. The work was in progress when the annual rise in the Columbia River caused a suspension of all work in the pit on May 4; 1891. At the beginning of July then there was no work in progress except stone-cutting, and overhauling and repairing plant. The river commenced to fall in the early part of July, and preparations were made preparatory to pumping out the pit as soon as the water should be low enough. The water having fallen.sufficiently the pumps were started on August 1, and the water was practically out of the pit by the evening of the 7th; but on account of the leak in the bulkhead the water was troublesome for about two weeks', until the river had fallen some 5 feet or more, to about 85 on gauge No. 2. As soon as the water was out of the pit (August 8) preparations Avere begun for resuming the wOrk'of concreting and stone-setting in the north wall of "the masonry of the lower lock and guard gates. Concreting was commenced August 19, and stone- setting August 22. The quarrying had. been commenced on July 17th and work in the sand pit on August 14, so that on August 22 the work was in full progress again. From August 22 until October 16 the work of concreting and stone-setting was coniined to the north wall of 4he masonry of the lower lock and guard gates. This wall was practically completed on October 16, and the shifting of the derricks, en- gines, and tracks to their positions for work on the south (or land side) wall of the lock chamber commenced. These changes were completed on the 19th, and concre- ting and stone-setting were commenced in the south wall on the 19th and 21st, respec- tively. A length of about 300 feet was put under construction and completed to reference 108, both concrete and stone, on December 5,1891. As soon as the wall was finished the laying up of the plant commenced. Engines and derricks were taken out of the pit, the pump stand moved into position for pumping after the next high water and weighted down, The inclined trestle and track in the pit weighted and the work suspended for the winter. The excavation for the extension of the south wall of the lock-chamber wall was commenced on October 30 and. carried on until December 16. The excavation was not quite completed, but as all other work was stopped and the weather very unfavorable it was not considered advantageous to finish the exca- vation at that time. The work in the sand pit was suspended December 5, in the quarry November 16, and stone-cutting December 11, 1891. The office force was moved to Portland December 19, and the work left in charge of the overseer and the necessary watchmen. The office force was employed in Portland in the preparation of the reports and estimates of the last season's work, in the preparation of the detailed drawings of the niiisonry of the upper lock and guard gates, and of the shop drawings of the lower lock and guard gates, until April 4, 1892, when it was again moved to Cascade Looks. An soon as the weather was favorable in the spring, 1892, preparations were made for (ihe resumption of quarrying and stone-cutting. No attempt was made to lay concrete, as the funds remaining from the last appropriation would have been coni- plotoly exhausted in about a month by the force necessary to carry on that work.

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.


Seen <100 times