Affordable Access

Publisher Website

The Influence of water salinity on the free amino acid concentration in muscle and hepatopancreas of adult shrimps,Penaeus japonicus

Biochemical Systematics and Ecology
Publication Date
DOI: 10.1016/0305-1978(89)90104-x
  • Penaeus Japonicus
  • Free Amino Acids
  • Muscle
  • Hepatopancreas
  • Salinity
  • Biology
  • Ecology


Abstract Variations of the total free amino acid (FAA) pool and the content of specific amino acids have been measured in the muscle and hepatopancreas of adult shrimps, Penaeus japonicus, acclimatized at five water salinities: 38, 32, 26, 20 and 14%‰ The FAA content is always higher in muscle than in hepatopancreas at all tested salinites. On the other hand, the hepatopancreas exhibits the highest concentrations of essential amino acids. Two steps in the evolution of FAA content can be observed, the first one regarding decrease in salinity from 38 to 20%‰ and the second one, when salinity goes below 20% °. The first step can be characterized by a 16% decrease of total FAA content in the muscle and a 36% increase in the hepatopancreas. In muscle, the variations are mainly due to changes in non-essential FAA content, whereas in the hepatopancreas, they are linked to variations in essential FAA content. The other step is characterized by a drastic increase in moisture and decrease in FAA content in both studied organs when water salinity is 14%‰ The total FAA content is about 40% lower in shrimps at 14% ° compared to 38%‰ seawater salinity. During adaptation, the FAA pool (mainly NEFAAs) of muscle seems to be directly related to osmoregulation, whereas in the hepatopancreas, its evolution seems to be linked with energy expenditure and protein synthesis. The results are evaluated in order to elucidate the role of FAA in intracellular osmoregulation and in relation to animal ecology.

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.


Seen <100 times