Affordable Access

Education maintenance allowances 2012-13

Publisher
Scottish Government (Scotland)
Publication Date

Abstract

Education Maintenance Allowances 2012-13 1 Education Maintenance Allowances 2012-13 27 March 2014 Scotland’s Chief Statistician today published statistics on Education Maintenance Allowances (EMAs) in the academic year 2012-13. This release contains information on all students at school or at a college in Scotland who received at least one payment under the EMA scheme. This is the sixth year of full roll out of EMAs. Summary of Key Findings 35,515 school pupils and college students received EMA payments in Scotland in the academic year 2012-13, an increase of 3.3% (1,125) from 34,390 in 2011-12 (table 1). School pupils account for 66% of young people in receipt of EMA payment, with the remaining 34% being college students. Of all the school pupils aged 16-19 years old in Scotland, 34% (23,335) received an EMA payment in 2012-13 (table 1). Of the EMA recipients whose deprivation classification was known, 26% (9,085) lived within Scotland’s 15 per cent most deprived areas (table 2). The total spend on EMAs in 2012-13 was £27.8 million, an increase of £0.2 million from £27.6 million in 2011-12 (table 4). Of this, £19.5 million (70%) was paid out to school pupils, and the remaining £8.3 million (30%) was paid out to young people attending college (table 5). Statistical Publication Notice Lifelong Learning Series A National Statistics Publication For Scotland 2 Contents Summary of Key Findings Background to EMA Analysis and Interpretation Tables EMA Recipients: Table 1. Young People in Receipt of EMA by Institution Type and Gender: 2006-07 to 2012-13 Table 2. Young People in Receipt of EMA by Deprivation Background and Age: 2006-07 to 2012-13 Table 3. Young People in Receipt of EMA by Deprivation Background and Institution: 2006-07 to 2012-13 EMA Spend: Table 4. EMA Spend (£) by Level of Weekly Payment and Payment Type: 2006-07 to 2012-13 Table 5. EMA Spend (£) by

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.