Affordable Access

Publisher Website

Application of the new classification for cancer of the cardia

Authors
Journal
Surgery
0039-6060
Publisher
Elsevier
Volume
124
Issue
4
Identifiers
DOI: 10.1067/msy.1998.91363
Disciplines
  • Medicine

Abstract

Abstract Background: Cancer of the cardia is now topographically classified into three types: type I, with the tumor center in the distal esophagus treated with subtotal esophagectomy; type II, arising at the gastroesophageal junction and treated with distal esophagectomy and either proximal or total gastrectomy; and type III, subcardial cancer treated with extended total gastrectomy. Our objective was to review the new classifications and compare the outcomes in patients grouped and treated according to these classifications. Methods: Seventy-four patients with cancer of the cardia—15 with type I, 30 with type II, and 29 with type III cancer—underwent surgical resection at our institution between 1992 and 1997. Postoperative complications, UICC stages, and survival (Kaplan-Meier) were compared. Results: The majority of patients with type I (73%) or type II (53%) cancer had stage I or II tumors, but only 27% of patients with type III cancer had this tumor stage (P <.05). Overall 30-day mortality was 4% and morbidity was 31%. Curative resections were performed in 73% (54 of 74) of the patients with 3-year survival rates of 72% (type I), 68% (type II), and 61% (type III). Conclusion: The recommended therapy for the different types of cancer of the cardia results in acceptable morbidity, mortality, and survival rates. (Surgery 1998;124:707-14.)

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.