The CLEVELAND COLLEGE OF JEWISH STUDIES is a constituent agency of the JEWISH COMMUNITY FEDERATION OF CLEVELAND. It is an accredited institution of higher education and center for adult Jewish learning which provides Jewish studies courses in a consortium arrangement with area universities and colleges. CCJS's roots date to the 1920s with the creation of a Jewish training school for Sunday school teachers and the founding of the Hebrew Teacher Training Institute by ABRAHAM FRIEDLAND in 1929, in a house off E. 105th between Superior and St. Clair Ave. The training school later came under the authority of the newly created BUREAU OF JEWISH EDUCATION (BJE) and renamed the Jewish Teachers Institute. In 1947 the schools merged into the Cleveland Institute of Jewish Studies, located in a mansion at E. 105 St and East Blvd., with the primary purpose to educate teachers. In 1952 the institute achieved independent status, with Dr. Jacob Kabakoff as its first dean. In the fall the institute moved to a new home on S. Taylor Rd. in Cleveland Hts., which it shared with the BJE. The school's program continued to expand and in 1964 its name was officially change to the Cleveland College of Jewish Studies. In 1971 the Ohio Regents authorized the school to grant three baccalaureate and two masters' degrees. In 1976 the college moved to a new campus at 26500 Shaker Blvd. in BEACHWOOD. Due to declining enrollment, the Hebrew Teacher Training Institute was abolished in 1982 and the college shifted its mission toward providing high level adult Jewish education and developing educational programs for the Jewish community.