Originally part of the Debating Society in 1795 (later the Dialectic Society), the Philanthropic Society was formed when several members broke away from the Dialectic Society because of political disagreements. Though the Philanthropic Society differed in many ways from the Dialectic Society they both shared a common goal of contributing over 10,000 books to the first university library. Upon graduating from UNC, Philanthropic Society members received a second diploma, decorated with a white ribbon. Dialectic Society members also received a second diploma, decorated with a light blue ribbon. Together, Di-Phi created the University’s colors: Carolina blue and white. Now collectively known as Di-Phi, the joint organization is responsible for founding the General Alumni Association, the Yackety-Yack (yearbook), the University Magazine, the Honor System, and academic schools like the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Law, and Medicine.