Affordable Access

Publisher Website

Microencapsulation of benzalkonium chloride

Authors
Journal
International Journal of Pharmaceutics
0378-5173
Publisher
Elsevier
Publication Date
Volume
81
Identifiers
DOI: 10.1016/0378-5173(92)90002-j
Keywords
  • Benzalkonium Chloride
  • Interfacial Polycondensation
  • Emulsion
  • Surfactant
  • Microcapsule
  • Hydrophilic-Lipophilic Balance
Disciplines
  • Design

Abstract

Abstract A method based on the interfacial polycondensation of isocyanates has been used to prepare microcapsules containing an aqueous solution of benzalkonium chloride. Since the compound to be encapsulated is amphiphilic, particular attention was paid to the formulation of a starting system for encapsulation. To this end, we investigated the influence of the hydrophilic-lipophilic balance (HLB) of both the surfactants and the oil on the initial emulsion. Our results demonstrate that designing of the formulation in accordanc with the HLB concept of Griffin ( J. Soc. Cosm. Chem., 1 (1949) 311–326) constitutes a good approach to the choice of the components of the microencapsulation system. The phase diagram constructed for a pseudo-ternary system showed that the area of the domain of the lipophilic continuous phase emulsion decreased with increasing concentration of benzalkonium chloride. This observation can be explained as being due both to the amphiphilic nature of the benzalkonium chloride and to modification of the aqueous solubility of the surfactants in its presence. The encapsulation yield of benzalkonium chloride was high (60%). The remaining 40% may either be present in the lipophilic phase or become incorporated into the shell of the microcapsules.

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.

Statistics

Seen <100 times
0 Comments

More articles like this

Benzalkonium chloride.

on Contact dermatitis October 1996

Benzalkonium chloride is still in use.

on Infection control and hospital... March 1991

Allergic reactions to benzalkonium chloride.

on Contact dermatitis January 1979
More articles like this..