Affordable Access

Detection of quinolone-resistant Neisseria gonorrhoeae.

Publication Date
  • Research Article


The present National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS) guideline for testing Neisseria gonorrhoeae quinolone susceptibility defines only a susceptible category for ciprofloxacin, enoxacin, lomefloxacin, and ofloxacin, while susceptible, intermediate, and resistant categories are defined for fleroxacin. To further define the criteria for detection of quinolone resistance in gonococci, by standard disk diffusion and agar dilution methodologies recommended by the NCCLS, we tested 29 strains of quinolone-resistant N. gonorrhoeae (QRNG) recently isolated from ofloxacin-treated patients who were considered clinical failures. Regression analyses were performed on these results together with those of another 20 strains showing reduced susceptibility and 13 fully susceptible strains (ofloxacin MICs of < or = 0.25 microgram/ml). With 5-micrograms ofloxacin disks, resistance in 27 (93.1%) of the QRNG strains (MICs of > 1 microgram/ml) was detected by the criterion of a zone diameter of < 22 mm, while in the remaining 2 (6.9%), the disks failed to detect resistance. A cluster of 15 highly resistant strains showed ofloxacin MICs of > 4 micrograms/ml and zone diameters of < 13 mm. When tested with 5-micrograms ciprofloxacin disks, the corresponding values for resistance and high-level resistance of these QRNG strains were < 25 mm (MICs of > 0.5 micrograms/ml) and < 15 mm (MICs of > 2 micrograms /ml), respectively. Six strains for which ofloxacin MICs were > or = 8 micrograms/ml showed no zones at all with both 5-micrograms ofloxacin and 5-micrograms ciprofloxacin disks. These QRNG strains are now firmly established in the Southeast Asia region, and it is important for clinical laboratories to recognize these clinically resistant strains and to monitor their spread.

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.


Seen <100 times