Bone and joint tuberculosis spread particulary during the Second World War, and also later, due to the poverty of the population. As children and the younger population were particulary endangered, it presented one of the major social problems. There were no adequate drugs, no places in hospitals, and no adequate specialists. The first Orthopedic Department in the whole of Dalmatia was founded at the hospital in Split in the year 1940, with one specialist, dr. Dušan Vlašić. A special hospital for bone and joint tuberculosis was founded in Biograd n/m in the year 1946. The head, and at the same time the first and only specialists, was dr. Niko Carević, dr. Vlašić and dr. Carević were the first and only specialists orthopedists in the whole of Dalmatia.