Affordable Access

Publisher Website

Deciduous leaf litter and cellulose decomposition in soil exposed to heavy atmospheric pollution

Authors
Journal
Environmental Pollution Series A Ecological and Biological
0143-1471
Publisher
Elsevier
Publication Date
Volume
26
Issue
1
Identifiers
DOI: 10.1016/0143-1471(81)90100-8

Abstract

Abstract Atmospheric pollution from a cooking plant reduced the decomposition of Acer pseudoplatanus litter left in litter bags in soil at a depth of 2·5 cm by 35% compared with decomposition at a similar, but unpolluted, site. Cellulose degradation in the top 10 cm of soil was, on the other hand, only marginally inhibited by pollution. Of the total inhibition of litter due to pollution, 57% was calculated to be due to non-particulate pollutants (acid rain plus gases), whilst the remaining 43% was due to the effects of atmospheric pollution deposits (APD) which contaminated polluted leaf surfaces. The scariity of soil arthropods at the polluted site appears to be an important factor reducing litter decomposition.

There are no comments yet on this publication. Be the first to share your thoughts.