Published in AIP Conf. Proc.
One of the main concerns in archaeology is to find of a method to study precisely archaeological structures in the least invasive way possible to avoid damage. The requirement of preserving the structures integrity prevents, in the case of pyramids or tumuli, the study of any internal structure (halls or tombs) which are not reachable by existing c...
Current and future astroparticle physics experiments are operated or are being built to observe highly energetic particles, high energy electromagnetic radiation and gravitational waves originating from all kinds of cosmic sources. The data volumes taken by the experiments are large and expected to grow significantly during the coming years. This i...
Published in physica status solidi (RRL) - Rapid Research Letters
The hadronic part of the electron structure function F2e has been measured for the first time, using e+e− data collected by the DELPHI experiment at LEP, at centre-of-mass energies of s=91.2–209.5 GeV . The data analysis is simpler than that of the measurement of the photon structure function. The electron structure function F2e data are compared t...
The LAGUNA design study- towards giant liquid based underground detectors for neutrino physics and astrophysics and prot......
The feasibility of a next generation neutrino observatory in Europe is being considered within the LAGUNA design study. To accommodate giant neutrino detectors and shield them from cosmic rays, a new very large underground infrastructure is required. Seven potential candidate sites in different parts of Europe and at several distances from CERN are...
The proximity focusing Hybrid Photon Detector (HPD) concept is implemented to develop a single photon sensitive Electron Bombarded CMOS (EBCMOS). The first demonstrator has been produced by the collaboration between the EBCMOS group of IPNL, the CMOS sensor group of IPHC and the R&D department of PHOTONIS. The prototype characteristics (dark curren...
Director APC Since 2014
Université Denis Diderot (Paris FR)
· Coordinator (“préfigurateur”) of the cluster of Sciences and Engineering of the Community of Universities Sorbonne-Paris-Cité, including the Universities of Paris 3, 5, 7, 13, Institute of the Physics of the Globe, Sciences Politiques, Institut des Langues INALCO. In the context of this mission, responsible for the formulation of the interdisciplinary program spanning a series of disciplines (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Informatics and Mathematics, Engineering Sciences).
· Director (2014-2019) of the laboratory of Astroparticle Physics and Cosmology (APC) a Mixed Unit of Research (200 agents) of University Diderot (Paris 7), IN2P3/CNRS, CEA, and the Observatory of Paris.
· Co-director (2014-2019) of the Laboratory of Excellence (LabEx) UnivEarths combining scientific expertise on Earth and environmental sciences, planetary sciences, high energy astrophysics , cosmology and fundamental physics, between the Institute of the Physics of the Globe, APC and a research unit of CEA (AIM).
· General Director (2017-) of the « Fondation pour la Recherche et la Formation dans le domaine de la Physique de l’Univers » in relation with the « Paris Center of Cosmological Physics », president George Smoot.
· Chairman (2011-2014) of Astroparticle Physics European Coordination (APPEC). APPEC gathers 24 agencies from 19 European countries coordinating Astroparticle Physics in Europe. Member of its Steering Committee since 2002. Elected chair with the mandate to upgrade the Coordination scheme to a Consortium. The consortium was finally founded in June 2012. Elected its first chairman in November 2012.
· Deputy scientific director (2002-2012) of IN2P3/CNRS. IN2P3 is the National Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics in CNRS, managing 3000 researchers, technical and administrative personnel distributed in 20 laboratories across the country working on 40 large national and international projects and large infrastructures. In particular responsible of the Astroparticle Physics, Cosmology and Neutrino programs, concerning 15 large national and international (US, Japan, Italy, Argentina, South Africa) projects on ground, underground, underwater and space.
· Director (2002-2011) of the CNRS interdisciplinary program “Particules et Univers”. The CNRS interdisciplinary program “Particules et Univers” issued annual R&D calls around the themes of Astroparticle physics and their synergies with geosciences, climate and biodiversity.
· Proposer and first Coordinator (2006-2012) of the EU funded ERANET agency network ASPERA (« AStroparticle Physics European Research Area NETwork»). ASPERA was funded by FP6 to advance the coordination of European Astroparticle Physics. Served as coordinator up to 2009, then co-coordinator of its continuation ASPERA-2 (FP7).
· President (2003-2012) of the administration council of EGO. The European Gravitation Observatory (EGO) is the host institution of the VIRGO gravitational wave antenna in Pisa, funded mainly by Italy and France and more recently by Netherlands. Served as president from 2003 to 2008 and 2011-2012 and vice-president from 2008 to 2011.
· Chairman (2011-2014) of the resource board of the AUGER High Energy Cosmic Ray Observatory, a multinational observatory (US, Argentina, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, …) of ultra high energy cosmic rays in Argentina.
· Principal Investigator (200̀7-) of the Institute of Physics and Mathematics of the Universe (KAVLI-IPMU). KAVLI-IPMU is an interdisciplinary Institute of Excellence at Tokyo/Japan gathering Theoretical Physicists, Experimentalists and Mathematicians around the themes of Cosmology, Particle and Astroparticle Physics. I was among the 15 principal investigators) that proposed it to MEXT in 2007 under the leadership of Hitoshi Murayama.
· Chairman (2009-2013) of the Scientific council of Instituto di Fisica de Altes Energias (IFAE) in Barcelona .
· Chairman (2002-2012) of the resource boards of the national laboratories: ANTARES Deep Ocean Observatory, LSM Laboratoire Souterrain de Modane, Double-CHOOZ Reactor Neutrino Experiment.
· Chief executive of the Public-Private-Partnerships (Groupements d’Intérêt Scientifique (GIS)) between IN2P3 and: the company PHOTONIS on photodetection (20 05-2009), the company SAGEM on extreme optics (2007-2011)
International Committee Membership
· INC International Neutrino Committee for the Long-Baseline Neutrino 2015 program to the Long-Baseline Neutrino Facility (LBNF) infrastructure and to the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE).
· ESFRI landscape subgroup on astronomy and astrophysics 2014-2016
· ECFA European Committee for Future Accelerators (observer) 2012-2014
· CERN council for the strategy sessions and strategy group (observer) 2012-2014
· OECD group AstroParticle Physics International Forum APIF 2008-2013
· IUPAP group PANAGIC on worldwide astroparticle coordination 2005-2010
· CERN Super Proton Synchrotron Committee (SPSC) 2008-2010
· Member of the Steering Committees of the international infrastructures: 2010-2012
Cherenkov telescope Array (CTA), Cubic Km Neutrino telescope (KM3net)
and Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST)
· Member of the steering committee of the space programs (NASA/ESA) : 2002-2012
AMS on the ISS space station and the FERMI satellite
National Committee Membership
· National Council for Science and Innovation ( ESEK) next to the Ministry of Education and Research, Greece 2016-
· Comité d’orientation de la Fondation Daniel et Nina Carasso 2016-
· Committee of Large Research Infrastructures of CNRS 2008-2012
· Evaluation Committee for Space Research and Exploration (CERES)
and Inter-Organism Committee (CIO) of CNES 2002-2012
· Jury for the Institut Universitaire de France (IUF) 2010-2013
· Member of the Administration Council of Athens University 2012-2013
Scientific council membership
· Scientific and Technical Council of Institut de Physique Nucléaire (IPNO) 2015-
· Scientific Council of Labex OCEVU (Marseille) and ENIGMASS (Annecy) 2013-
· Scientific council of IRFU/CEA 2007-2012
· Scientific council of IN2P3 department (PNC) 2001-2002
· Scientific council of Nuclear Physics Institute of Lyon (IPNL) 1997-2001
· Greek National Astronomy Committee 2001-2003
· Scientific council CNRS Research Group (GDR) on Supersymmetry 1997-2002
Evaluation committee membership for the sake of international agencies and ministries
· Fisica de Particulas et Aceleradores (FPA/MINECO), Spain (2015)
· FLARE Swiss National Science Foundation evaluation panel (2015)
· Oskar Kein Centre Director evaluation committee (2015)
· Canada Foundation for Innovation SNOLAB mid-term review (2014)
· NOW/NIKHEF Director evaluation committee (2014)
· Roadmap for Large Infrastructures (Greek General Secretariat) (2013)
· National Science Foundation (NSF) ICECUBE mid-term review (2013)
· RIKEN/Japan for the Computational Astrophysics Laboratory (2010)
· Helmholtz Association for Astroparticle Physics programs (2009)
Evaluator for the sake of international agencies and ministries
European Research Council (ERC), Netherlands Organisation for Scientific research (NWO), Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KV), Suisse National Foundation (SNF), Belgian national research agencies (FNS and FWO), Italian Ministry for University and Research (MIUR, PRIN), Spanish Ministry of Science (MINECO), Instituto Nationale di Fisica Nucleare (INFN), Chinese Academy of Science (CAS), Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic.
Courses in Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Solid State Physics, Nuclear Physics, Standard Model of Particle Interactions, Quantum Chromodynamics, Supersymmetry, Particle Physics, in
· University Paris 7 and Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris (2013-today)
· University Lyon I and Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon (1996-2002)
· University of Athens (1982-1995)
· C. Heritier and F. Gharbi on OPERA
· P. Verdier, N. Ghodbane, A. Duperrin and R. Nicolaidou on DELPHI