"When the global financial crisis of 2007-2009 hit, bringing devastating collapse of institutions and of the real economy itself, the economics and finance professions had little research available to understand what was happening and to guide policy response. Warnings were provided in 2007 by events and a handful of economists, but few could foresee how severe the consequences would be."
- Robert Engle, Annual Review of Financial Economics, 2018
Annual Reviews, with NYU Stern School of Business and MIT Golub Center for Finance and Policy (GCFP) are co-hosting the 2008 Financial Crisis: A Ten-Year Review conference with world leaders. Coinciding with the 10th volume of Annual Review of Financial Economics, the conference and this special article collection offer perspectives on the events surrounding the crisis, what has been learned since, and provide insight on future implications from expert vantage points.
FREE CONFERENCE LIVESTREAM ACCESS: November 8-9, 2018
Conference livestream is sponsored by the CFA Research Foundation.
Speakers include: Ben Bernanke, Douglas Diamond, Robert Engle, Stanley Fischer, Christopher Foote, Gary Gorton, Peter Hancock, Harold James, Mervyn King, Deborah Lucas, Robert Merton, Antoinette Schoar, Myron Scholes, and Jean-Claude Trichet.
All articles in this collection are FREE to read through January 2, 2019 and always available at subscribing institutions.
All articles are available here.
Annual Review of Financial Economics 10th Volume:
2008 Financial Crisis: A Ten-Year Review
- Financial Crises
- Mortgage-Default Research and the Recent Foreclosure Crisis
- Recent Research on Banks' Financial Reporting and Financial Stability
- Systemic Risk 10 Years Later
- Regulatory Reform
- Intermediary Asset Pricing and the Financial Crisis
- Deregulating Wall Street
- Deglobalization: The Rise of Disembedded Unilateralism
- Liquidity, Leverage, and Regulation 10 Years After the Global Financial Crisis
- The Role of Housing and Mortgage Markets in the Financial Crisis
Featured Biographies and Reflections from Financial Economists
- My Life in Finance, Eugene F. Fama
- Fischer Black, Robert C. Merton and Myron S. Scholes
- Portfolio Theory: As I Still See It, Harry M. Markowitz
Banking Regulation and Corporate Finance
- CEO Compensation
- A Review of Empirical Capital Structure Research and Directions for the Future
- Shadow Banking Regulation
- Exchange-Traded Funds: An Overview of Institutions, Trading, and Impacts
- An Overview of China's Financial System
Economic Modelling, Credit, and Risk
- Credit Risk Models
- Credit Rating Agencies: An Overview
- Credit Default Swaps: Past, Present, and Future
- Also, don't miss this special event from the Annual Review of Economics, taking place this month at NYU!
- ECONOMICS WITH A MORAL COMPASS? WELFARE ECONOMICS: PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE
- Angus Deaton in Conversation with Amartya Sen
This conversation between two Nobel Laureates, moderated by Annual Review of Economics Editorial Committee member Tim Besley, will focus on bringing ethical issues into economics, and the implications that this has for the practice and teaching of economics.
Annual Reviews is a nonprofit publisher dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society. We currently publish 50 highly cited journals in the Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences, including Economics.